Did someone say bath detox? 🛁 🍋✨
When we lived on Maui, we had a dreamy soaker tub that I spent hours in. I would grab my coffee and wake up there in the morning, and spent hours soaking my weary overdue body in it waiting for our first miracle babe to finally join us outside the womb. I miss that bathtub every single day! But I recently started a weekly bath detox in our smaller current tub and it turns out, any amount of warm water I can submerge myself in is my happy place. Bonus points: a detox bath is super easy and gentle healing therapy I can do to support my body’s natural detoxification system while also strengthening my immune system. Heyooooo!
Looking for a recipe? Here’s what I do:
Weekly Bath Detox
• 2 cups Magnesium flakes – a naturally occurring compound mined from ancient sea beds or open-water sources (like the Dead Sea). (Goodbye heavily overly-fragranced box store epsom salts. 🤢)
• 1/4 cup baking soda (to help neutralize the chemicals in your water and increase mineral absorption)
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil (to moisturize your skin)
• 5 drops lemon essential oil
• 5 drops lavender essential oil
• a bathtub full of water (keep in mind: the hotter the water, the more intense the detox)
Important tip: resist the urge to add any soap or shampoo to your bath!
Here are my favorite basic detox bath ingredients:
don’t forget the essential oils:
Shut the door, embrace the quiet, and soak for at least 20 minutes right before bed. Don’t be surprised if you feel a little bit light-headed when you get out – a quick rinse-off with cool water will help.
After your bath:
• Moisturize: You will want to moisturize after your bath, but use a dye-free, fragrance-free lotion. Your pores will be nice and open after that amazing soak and will easily absorb the chemicals that come with the artificial fragrances, dyes, and other toxic chemicals that are used in those pretty lotions you might favor.
• Hydrate: make sure to drink plenty of water before and after your detox bath to support your body’s detox process.
Want to detox your kids in a bath?
Decrease the magnesium flakes to 1/2 cup, coconut oil to 1 tablespoon, and oils to 4 drops each for little ones under 60 lbs. 60-100 lbs? 1 cup of magnesium flakes, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 5 drops of oils.